Friday, September 11, 2026

Beth Cameron (ex-Forget Cassettes) shares beautiful, dark album addressing rare chronic illness and more

Nashville musician Beth Cameron shares her solo debut full length LP, The World. Oh No. today. The album is available to hear and share on all DSPs HERE


“This album is my nervous system on display,” says Beth Cameron of her first solo release, THE WORLD, OH NO. Raised on Riot Grrrl and post-punk, the Tennessee native fronted Forget Cassettes and Black Bra. Now, Cameron has unmasked under her own name. The result is a tour de force which viscerally portrays chronic illness on songs for piano, edgy Lyra synthesizer, guitar, and varying vocal techniques. Cameron’s gift for formal experimentation and lyric fearlessness means the songs somatically channel her HyperPOTS condition rather than merely describe it. Through skillful balance of melody and dissonance, her music channels contemporary artists like Emma Ruth Rundle and Chelsea Wolfe.


“My life revolved around music before I got sick. Now, my life revolves around my health,” Cameron says about the havoc wreaked by HyperPOTS , a nervous system disorder with no cure. In HyperPOTS , the body produces excess amounts of the stress hormone norepinephrine, keeping patients in constant cycles of panic, pain, autonomic dysregulation, and a constant uncertainty about how to function. 


Cameron cites the “unpredictable nature of it; the peaks and troughs; always one foot in the world and one foot out” as one of the worst parts of the illness. While the record is a sonic manifestation of illness, Cameron doesn’t rest on the merely confessional. “I didn’t want to just write about my experiences, but I wanted to fully embody them through sonic choices.”


“I took my first songwriting workshop in the spring of 2025 with an artist I deeply admire, Nandi Rose, aka Half Waif. I had been slowly working on new songs for a couple of years, but I was really stuck. This workshop really opened up something in me.” Shoring up her lyricism with the poetry of William Bronk, Andrea Gibson, and Rainer Maria Rilke, Cameron found musical voice with a Baldwin Acrosonic piano, a Lyra 8 synthesizer, and heavy listening to binaural beats through the Moongate app.


It’s equal parts confrontation and a determination to take her life back, packed into a song structure reminiscent of experimental artists like Alexis O’Hara. Throughout the album, she employs the Lyra synthesizer, which gives the album an unrelenting feeling of anxiety it needed - that constant low pulse of uncertainty that accompanies someone living in an unpredictable body. 


The album takes its title from a line in William Bronk’s poem “The World:” “There isn’t an anchor in the drift of the world. Oh no.” Perfectly encapsulating the constant tumult of sickness, listeners know they’re in for a visceral unpredictability, which ultimately offers empathy and witnessing to chronic illness patients.


“I consider ‘Something in the Offing,’ ‘Sympathetic Symphony,’ and ‘I’m Resting’ to be the emotional arc and connective tissue of the album. I wrote those songs as a triptych about what it feels like to have a POTS episode.” From the slowly swinging piano of “Something in the Offing” to the maniacal laughter that ends “Sympathetic Symphony,” these songs viscerally represent the grief, panic, and uncertainty of a sickness that may never go away. “Something in the Offing” repeats the storm-tossed imagery of the album title, “I’m cresting with the waves / A dance I know so well / So terrified of it still.”


“The album ends where it begins because of the cyclical nature of illness and grief,” a lament familiar to those with incurable illness. Nervous system conditions often correlate with past trauma, something Cameron had to confront. “Therapy allowed me the agency to finally choose anger over shame regarding bad men who had long exerted their power over me. ‘Lemonsqueezer’ and ‘RIP, OP’ are about the abuse I endured from my ex-romantic/musical partner, and with whom many other women continue to suffer. ‘Lemonsqueezer’ is also about the recent estrangement from my father after a lifetime of emotional abuse.” It’s a brave song, featuring spoken word verses, layered backing vocals, and determined percussion. “I’m the comeback lady,” Cameron declares, leading into a chorus of “My hate for you is my muse / You abuse, you abuse, you abuse.”


On “HeLa,” Cameron looks back at the medical trauma of her premature birth. “I was born half dead / To a mother who / Was living half dead, half wed,” she sings. The title is a reference to Henrietta Lacks, a Black woman whose cancer cells have been used nonconsensually in medical research. 


Considering Lacks as an immortal presence while simultaneously being “another woman dismissed,” Cameron considers her own place in history. The music quickens like a pulse and what sounds like rage becomes resolve. “I’m not sitting in the waiting room no more,” the song ends.


“I could never shake this feeling that I wasn’t supposed to be here.” That theme bleeds over into “Motherland.” “Even though my mother left us to preserve her own survival, that neglect has consequences that still persist.” The slow piano, foggy synth sweeps, and singsong melody give an eerily tranquil ambience to the song’s themes. “Motherland, Motherwound / Mother see, Mother do / Motherfucker, what did I lose? / Motherland, Motherwound,” goes the chorus like a litany of grief. With a trembling vocal intimacy reminiscent of Beth Gibbons, Cameron enumerates what it means to be haunted by the one who gave her life.


Like the sympathetic nervous system, THE WORLD. OH NO. reaches the heart, the mind, the spine. Cameron refuses to add the veneer of hope, a detail that both comforts and educates listeners. Formally experimental while remaining accessible, the fourteen tracks embody the ceaseless and unpredictable suffering of chronic illness. 


The World. Oh No. will be available on streaming/download on September 11th, 2026. A special Limited Edition hardbound book and CD package follows in Fall 2026. The album is available to pre-order on digital via Bandcamp





Artist: Beth Cameron

Album: The World. Oh No.

Label: Submissive Grin

Release Date: September 11, 2026 (digital) / Fall 2026 (CD/book)


01. Prodrome

02. Something In The Offing

03. Lemonsqueezer

04. Constant Companion

05. Chocolate Cake

06. Sympathetic Symphony

07. HeLa

08. Motherland

09. RIP, OP

10. Everyone Is Someone's Collateral Damage

11. One Blood

12. FLSD

13. I'm Resting

14. The World. Oh No. (Postdrome)



On the Web:

bethcameronmusic.com

instagram.com/bethcameronmusic

bethcameronmusic.bandcamp.com














No comments: